Friday, February 16, 2007

not yet.

Here it is, Friday, and I have not cast on for Faina. La says I needta, but I haven't had the time.
Actually, that's a total lie. Everybody has the same 24 hours a day. I just chose to spend my last several days' free time expanding on a great childhood experience: I read the last two books of the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. ...sigh...

WHAT? I just looked at the link and realized there is YET ANOTHER Little House book. YAY! Must go get it, but I'll cast on for Faina so La doesn't send the stash weasels to my house.

Anyway, have you read these books? It doesn't help things that they knit lace and hand-stitch it to their homemade clothes. I just want to move out to a farm, bake things from scratch, grow all my food from the garden, and be thankful that Pa shot some blackbirds because it's the first fresh meat we've had in years. I could do without the knife-wielding farm wife, though I've been thinking about her a lot. (It was in Little Town on the Prairie, when Laura teaches her first school.) Laura's opinion was that she was mean and selfish. It seems to me like she was mortally depressed. Seems like that kind of life could be monumentally rewarding, or soul-crushing in the worst way.
So, I looked up online to see if I could find pictures of Laura and Almanzo, and I did! How cute are they? Here is a link to the museum about her. Married 63 years, until his death. Started out with horse and buggy, ended up with Chrysler. She only died in 1957! I am completely amazed by the idea that she was still living when my mother was born.
Okay, enough of my nostalgia. If you haven't read them, do so. If you have, read them again. I'm going to go cast on for Faina, to stave off the stash weasels.