Wednesday, March 14, 2007

One down...

One to go!

whew
One Mad Cow sock

I'm not loving the pink with the variegated. I think the variegated would make lovely socks all by themselves, but I thought it had more pink in it. The pink also makes the yellow look a bit sickly, which I think wouldn't happen if they weren't right next to each other. Still, a fun pattern, and so far, a comfy sock.

Tracy made a good point in the comments from the last post - really, socks don't take all that long. (Well, in comparison to the time it takes to buy a pair...) Anyway, I had it in my head that I'm a slow knitter and that socks took forever, but with the exception of the lattice sock, which was designed on the needles, I haven't knit a pair of socks for several months. Sock Madness has taught me that I CAN knit someone else's pattern and do it rather quickly. It's amazing to see what I can do when I'm focused. I haven't officially been ousted from the competition, either - I will do my best to the end of this pattern, and either compete in the next round, or knit the next pattern at a more leisurely pace, still with the goal of completing the pair in two weeks. It was my Knitting Olympics goal last year, with my first pair of socks. It's fun to see how far I've come, that knitting a pair in a week, while intense, isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Jessie pointed out that she wasn't going to make her 100 miles goal by April 1. Well, clearly I am not going to make either the original 100 miles, or the more insane 200 miles, by April 1. It's fun to track my progress, though, so I'll probably keep it up. Lately DH drives me to a spot near the office, on his way to the Bug's daycare, and I walk home. Less exercise, but more family time. I enjoy it and will miss it when I start riding my bike home to avoid the heat. (I subscribe to the theory that a few minutes of strenuous activity in the heat is better than 15 or 20 minutes of light activity - yeah, I'm hotter by working harder, but I get to the pool or the AC that much quicker...)

And now, some pictures from the lake. As always, click to embiggen, should you be inclined.

whew
Not so sure about that life jacket

whew
Daddy's boy wants to steer...

whew
...so Daddy lets him.


whew
So thrilled.

And now, gratuitous nudity.

whew
Chunky Monkey