Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's fall

And it's stressing me out!
I hesitate to make decrees like I did in this post, because I start to feel like I'm falling behind, even though I'm the only one I'll answer to, and no one will die (or even be slightly inconvenienced) if I fail to attain my goal or I change my mind. But still, I made it public, and dammit, I need to make progress.
I think I feel this way every year. I remember the rush of the school year beginning, trying to get school shopping and new supplies and everything ordered and done and ready to go. I still feel the urge to "prepare", despite the fact that I have no garden, I have no school-aged children, heat is a luxury and really unnecessary in my neck of the woods, and I can get whatever I want at the grocery store. I see Siri collecting huckleberries, Anne and Cyndy and Judy and Norma finishing up their gardens and putting up and canning for the winter. (oooh, such name-dropping.) Is it genetic? Do I feel like I SHOULD be preparing for the long, hard, 60-degree winter in Tucson? Is it something in my bones that makes me feel like I'm falling behind even though there's nothing out of the ordinary to do? It makes me tense and itchy and irritable, and I'm not even sure if there's a way to fix it. Would it help if I went to the farmer's market and bought and canned some produce? No idea. I can tell you that the idea of me running out and buying produce and canning supplies is not likely to happen, so we may never know. In the meantime, add in the insomnia, the work and house stress, and the hormones, and it manifests in my cranky ass self and occasional ranting emails sent to friends. (Sorry.) We'll just gloss over the (thankfully also occasional) screaming hissy fits.