Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Harlot came a-calling

And I got to see her! Hooray!
What a great experience. She's funnier in person than she is in text, and I think that's sayin' something. Of course, this isn't anything that hasn't already been said, but I'm adding my voice to the chorus.
I took the afternoon off, and my buddy Lynn and I drove up early and had dinner, then wandered over to the shop. What a GREAT shop! They had looms and rug weaving equipment, roving and spindles and wheels, and more yarn that you can shake a needle at. There was one bit of bombyx top that called and called to me. I couldn't put it down. I petted it all night. (It came home with me. I will learn to spin later.)
My favorite part of the evening was when I incited her to say "arse". I am easily entertained and apparently a bit puerile.
And now, for some pictures.

Blogging the blogger:


The requisite sock photo

Having my books signed:


I was so excited that she recognized me that I still haven't read what she wrote in them

Mutual sockitude:


My sock is now two degrees of separation from Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Blogging while being blogged:


I hope the leaning back thing was her eyesight, and not her thinking, "Damn I need a wide-angle lens."

All in all, a great time was had by me and everyone I talked to. Next time she comes through, assuming she's not coming to Tucson, I will make plans to spend the night, or at least take the next day off work, so I can find that woman a good Arizona beer or six. And some margaritas.

Thanks for a good time, Stephanie! I hope Arizona treated you well.

4 comments:

Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Oh how nice to meet Yarn Harlot! So nice of you to make a Canadian gal feel so welcome. I am also a Canadian. I just found your blog and wanted to tell you about knitting Clapotis. I had commented on my blog about the 17 stitch markers on Clapotis when a fellow blogger wrote to say - forget the stitch markers and instead of knitting the stitch just after the marker PURL it! Do the WS of the work the same as the pattern suggest. You will have a garter stitch between the two k tbl and it will become as clear as can be. You can go to my blog to see what I mean. Who needs 17 markers in 101 stitches, I say! Changing the knit st to a purl does not matter to the pattern, as this is the stitch you drop to make the 'ladder' part of Clapotis!

Lene said...

Oh - lucky you!

Anonymous said...

If you need help entertaining Stephanie, let me know! Always up for good conversation, margs and knitting!

Kate

aka the red head photographer from last night!

Unknown said...

Man, I'm collecting a lot of knitting bloggers from Yarn Harlot's posts! Wow! And as for the previous commenter's purling advice for Clapotis, DO IT. I just finished a Clap like that (pictures here and here) and it's so much easier than fiddling with all the markers.