Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Do you see what I see?

That little counter in the sidebar is now showing less than 60 days. That means less than two months. That means the time to panic is getting C-L-O-S-E-R.
Over the weekend I finished the knitting and weaving of ends for Frill. I have yet to wash and block her, but I hope that will happen soon. In the meantime, there is still Tendrils (10 repeats and counting) and HPT. Jessie has just sent my yarn for Clapotis, the partner for Tendrils. Good grief, I hope it is a faster knit than Tendrils is.
On another note, can I tell you that I have rediscovered the library? When I was in high school, we were urged to buy books so we could take notes in them. (What a way to kill the joy of reading.) I got in the habit. I got in the habit of being super-selective about my reading. I learned to scan the artwork on the cover and read bits here and there to decide whether a book was worth the obscene price they're charging these days. (It amazes me how often it has worked out that if I like the artwork on a fantasy book, I have liked the book, and vice versa.) Anyway, recently (last week, I think) I got a library card with the idea that I would check out Generation T. Since then I have picked up a couple books that looked like they might be good, checked out a couple that I wanted but couldn't find locally, and have two more on reserve. Brilliance! If I don't like the book, who cares? It's free! My only complaint is the lack of popular knitting books in my local library. I suspect publishers don't like pattern books in the library to minimize copyright infringements - no way to control who's making copies that way. Anyway, I love it. I was reminded about how I used to go to the library with my mother when I was a kid. It was always a fun outing, always exciting to browse and find new books. And what a privilege it was when I was given my very own library card! I had forgotten. DH thinks it's mildly weird that I am so excited about it. I hope I remember all the time now. I hope I can pass on the excitement of a smorgasbord of books to The Bug.

2 comments:

me said...

I'm always checking out books from the library; mostly knitting books. The libraries here do this cool thing where they'll transfer a book to the branch you want if it "lives" at another branch, and I can do all the requests online. They have dvds too! I'm working my way through 6 Feet Under. Yeah, libraries rock.

Anonymous said...

It can't possibly be that close to Christmas.

I love my library card! Its saved me zillions of dollars and that's still spending wildly on Amazon.

I hadn't thought of the pattern copyright infringement problems. I just thought the library was too broke for the niche market of knitters.